Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Why Game



Today I am grateful for the 'Why' game.

The Bug is on a 'why' kick, and randomly selects moments to ask why after everything I say. For example:

He wanted the cracker back that he had just eaten.

Me: You can't have it, because it's in your tummy

The Bug: Why? (It's so cute when he does this, too--he cocks his head to the side, furrows his eyebrows, and looks perplexed)

Me: Because that's what happens when we eat food. You chew it, it goes through your mouth, down your neck, down your throat, and into your tummy (I'll spare details of my explanation of food excretion).

The Bug: Why? (Same exact look)

Me: Because that's the way Heavenly Father made us.

The Bug: Why?

Me: Well, I guess because He loves us.

The Bug: Why?

Me: Because Heavenly Father is our Daddy, and Daddy's love their little boys.

The Bug: Why?

Me: I'm not sure, but it sure is a good thing, isn't it?


I've started to notice a pattern. It seems every time he goes on one of his why rampages, we end up in the same place. When it really comes down to it, everything is because Heavenly Father loves us and it (whatever we happen to be talking about) is part of His plan for us.

Not only is The Bug's little game a great opportunity to teach him about God and His love for us, it's also a reminder to me that He is the undercurrent of every aspect of our lives; a reminder to be grateful, and to live in a way that both professes that belief and jives with it.

So thanks, Bug, for the why game. You may think you're just being a silly little boy, but I'm still learning from you.



SBB

2 comments:

  1. so true! i've realized that is the most important thing i can teach my kids, is about the love that heavenly father has for us. really, nothing else matters more in this life than understanding that, in my opinion. because everything comes back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Silly Bug! He wanted a cracker he had already eaten. He definitely knows how to play the game :)

    ReplyDelete