Monday, August 8, 2011

Pass the Peas, Please!



I like to consider myself a fairly health-conscious individual. Basically, all that means is that I know just how bad for me the things I am eating are.

I do pretty well sneaking whole grains into our diet. Fruit? Easy! But I am HORRIBLE about serving my family vegetables. I usually have something green on the table come dinner time, but that's about it. I have decided that it really boils down to two things: inconvenience and laziness.

I'm not one of those people that can just chew on a raw cucumber. As far as I'm concerned, vegetables need preparation to be edible. If I don't plan it before I walk into the kitchen to fix a meal, it 'aint happenin'. If I don't write what vegetables we're having each meal before I go shopping, I don't have it in my fridge. Besides, a bowl of cereal always sounds better than steamed zucchini (and I love steamed zucchini). Easy, yummy, sugary...the cereal usually wins out. So there you have it; inconvenience and laziness.

I am going to be better. My goal for the next month is to have two servings of (different) vegetables each day. I know that's not at much as is suggested, but I figure I'll start with an attainable goal.

This week we had:

Day 1: Spinach salad at snacktime, and grilled zucchini for dinner

Day 2: Veggie Sandwiches for lunch and corn on the cob for dinner

Day 3: Baby carrots for lunch and spinach salad for dinner

Day 4: Sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes, & pickles for lunch, and omelets with red peppers and onions

Day 5: Spaghetti with tomato sauce for dinner, carrots for a bedtime snack (lame, I know)

Day 6: Sandwich with lettuce, tom, & pickles for lunch, fresh veggies & dip for dinner

Day 7: Hawaiian Haystacks w/ bell peppers & tomatoes, broccoli salad (so good!), and green salad

So far so good! I've definitely had to make a conscious effort. Only three more weeks of this and it will be a habit, right?


SBB

No comments:

Post a Comment