Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Grateful to be



Another year older















Growing up, my friend's mom would never own up to her age. She just kept turning 18 every year. I asked her once what was so shameful about getting old, and she told me that we live in a society that values youth and beauty. It's sad that she's right, especially since most of us spend so little of our lives in both categories simultaneously. At least according the the world's standards. The Mr. tells me that I just keep getting prettier and prettier. You know what the funny thing is? I think he actually believes it.

When people talk about being in the 'prime of your life', they generally refer to somewhere between the late teens and early thirties. I say it would be a pretty sad thing if that were true! Physically? Maybe. Mentally? Probably. But where it really counts? Not even close, I sure hope. In my little world, life just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter. Life is harder now than it use to be, it's true. I have more responsibility, less time, and I feel like I can never get ahead in some regards. But I am happier than ever, at a deeper level than I use to be.

The more I come to truly know myself, the more I come to know others and feel real love for them, the more alive I feel. The longer I live, the more I learn; the more bonds I create with others. If a husband and two children bring me this much joy, how much happier will I be when I have four children? Six? Fourteen?...Okay, I'm kidding about that last one. The day that I become a grandma, I expect to feel like the luckiest person in the world.

The rest of my life is filled with opportunities to love. I hope that when I am 80 I can say that I am in the prime of my life. Until I'm 81, at least, and I realize what I've been missing.


Today I am 28, and I choose to wear it like a badge of honor. Until I can trade it in for an upgrade next year.


28 Reasons I'm grateful to be Alive

1. Isaac. What would my life be like without that little rascal? Calmer, that is for sure; cleaner, I think. Less stressful, maybe. A lot more boring for sure. A lot less fun and full of joy and laughter. Man I love that kid.

2. Adam. We are sure thrilled that he's a part of our family. What a sweet little boy!

3. Edward. I couldn't ask for a better husband. Really.

4. Family. It has been really fun to be so close to so many family members.

5. Financial Security. I think I will always be stressed out about money--even when we're billionaires. But in all reality we have been immensely blessed to have all of our needs met.

6. Friends. We are loving our new neighborhood and ward. So many people have reached out to us, and I'm actually having fun here.

7. As of the 14th, I have accomplished my 6 months without chocolate goal. Go me, I say. Thank you Ed, I say. It is a giant of a man indeed who will commit to such madness for the love of his wife.

8. Exercise. So much cheaper than anti-depressants. So much more enjoyable than dieting.

9. The most AMAZING news that my dear old friend Delbert has decided to come back to church after probably 50 years away.

10. The Gospel of Jesus Christ.

11. Horseback riding.

12. Volleyball.

13. General Conference is coming up again.

14. Hand-me-downs.

15. My Mom. I'm not kidding--if you want to paint a bright spot on your soul, go spend some time with her. I've never met someone so selfless and caring. And it's okay--you can call her Mom, too. You wouldn't be the first.

16. Women.

17. Priesthood blessings.

18. The fact that kids take naps.

19. Cilantro

20. The beauty of nature. Seriously, think about it. Why did God put flowers on the earth? Do they serve any purpose besides just being lovely and lifting the spirits? That was awfully nice of Him to do.

21. Cool bed sheets.

22. The written word.

23. Good days when I can stay happy even if things go wrong.

24. Music. Ah, music is a wonderful thing.

25. Melted cheese. Oh, yeah.

26. Thunder storms.

27. Animals.

28. Eternal life.


Some things I am looking forward to accomplishing this year:

Go on a cruise

Can peaches, pears, and applesauce

Run a half marathon

Do a triathlon

Potty train the Bug (yikes!)

Sing in church

Sew a cute dress

Do 8 pull-ups in a row

Horseback ride

Meet our goals for paying down our mortgage

It's a secret...

Grow my hair out (pretty sure I'm always doing this one)

Love your life!

SBB

8 comments:

  1. Happy happy birthday Shawna dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Shawna! You are a radiant woman and such good example about living life to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! Here's to getting older. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love #8. Happy Birthday and I loved your post:) I'm adding you to my list:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with #15. I know it's late, but Happy Birthday, dear cousin! Your little family is so cute! Let's do a double date soon!

    ReplyDelete