Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Thursday

We bleed blue around here.


This week I am thankful for...

My Body. I know I say this a lot, but I really am. Our bodies are amazing. I ran a half marathon on Saturday, and was again reminded of the incredible capacity they have. The very first time I ran, a mile seemed like an eternity. My first 5k (just over 3 miles) six years ago was a huge feat, and I was so proud of myself! I always thought that people who run marathons are just plain nutty and have no respect for their bodies, but I am learning that we are incredibly adaptable. To be able to run 13 miles without doing irreversible damage when I use to struggle with just 1 is amazing to me. Of course, if I had trained correctly, I might have been able to walk the following four days, too. We live and learn, I guess. So there you go. Bodies. Amazing.

Food Storage. I spent the day Tuesday canning chicken for the first time. I have put up 30 jars of peaches, and I have four boxes of pears waiting to ripen. In a few weeks I'll splurge on some apples, and make the Bug's favorite--applesauce. I feel so ridiculously fulfilled when I'm canning. Like a chubby little squirrel who has just finished stalking up on acorns for the winter. It just feels good to do something productive, to save money, and to know that in an emergency, my family will have food. It's tasty, too. Definitely a perk.

Back-up Milk Supply. Adam is a no-chocolate baby. Good thing I had some milk frozen so he can survive while I get the it all out of my system.

Free fruit. Thank you, Carlynn, for the goodies--I've been eating nectarines for a week-and-a-half. Isaac loved the apples. Thanks, Beth for the pears!

Kids. They keep me laughing. According to Isaac, we eat too-nut fish for lunch, Mom uses dental flop to flop her teeth, and on Tuesday night we ate at Chuck-a-Grandma.


SBB

3 comments:

  1. Chuck a grandma - I love that place!

    Way to go on the half marathon - that is quite a feat and I especially appreciate hearing that your feelings about running used to be a lot like mine are now. Perhaps there is hope for me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look GORGEOUS! I'm sorry, you ran a WHAT how long after giving birth?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A quarter of a year. That sounds better than three months, right?

    ReplyDelete