Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Homemade Yogurt


Warm a quart of milk on the stove, until it is almost boiling. Allow it to cool until lukewarm. Add two to three tablespoons of starter (you can buy this at a health food store, but it is easier to just use store-bought yogurt. Make sure it has active cultures in it. I like use Activia) and mix gently. Cover, wrap tightly in a towel, and leave in a warm place for 8 hours.

I usually just leave the yogurt in my oven overnight. I'll heat it up and then turn it off before I put the yogurt in. The yogurt will be a little soft-set. I use skim milk, and I think it would be thicker with 1 or 2%. It's a great way to have yogurt without the ridiculous amount of sugar and additives.


Enjoy!

SBB

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE homemade yogurt!! I haven't done it since we lived in Logan, though - we had fresh local milk delivered to our house (it was heaven) and always made yogurt out of the leftovers. My two cents... I put about 1/4 cup of dry milk powder (I used the food storage stuff) in at the same time as the starter. That makes the finished product nice and thick. And for incubation, I put it in a small cooler in the bathtub and filled it with the hottest tap water I could get. That kept it at the right temperature for the whole time. kissies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips, Amanda! Will instant dry milk work the same? That's amazing that you got fresh milk! One day I will have a cow...no, seriously...

    ReplyDelete