Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Story Time

Once upon a time there was a girl who didn't ever feel like blogging, because her blog was suppose to be uplifting and she didn't feel she had anything uplifting to say. The End. Just kidding, it's not the end, but it is a true story.

I like to be perfect. Of course, I am nowhere near perfect, so I tend to be in a state of frustration most of the time. I forget that perfection is a journey, and it's not all up, nor is it intended to be.

If I did have any loyal readers (hypothetically speaking, of course, because I know that if I did have readers they would comment once in awhile so that I would know that I had readers :), they might notice that I haven't been blogging much on Tuesdays, my 'Trich' day. Hmm. Must just be a really busy summer. Well, that, and that fact that no one wants to write about how they're failing miserably to master something they are trying desperately to master. Especially on a blog that is suppose to be uplifting. Get what I'm saying?

I gave a lesson in Relief Society on Sunday about progression and setting goals (because, as we all know, the lesson is really for the instructor and not the class). Here is a quote that I found:

"For my part, I have concluded that the quality which sets one man apart from another--the factor which lifts one man to every acheivement to which he reasonably aspires while the other is caught in the slaugh of mediocrity for all the years of his life--is not talent, nor formal education, nor luck, nor intellectual brilliance, but is rather the successful man's greater capacity for self-discipline."

Benjamin N. Woodson

Oh that hyphenated word. It's the bane of my existence, that word! I could use a little more of it. Or a whole heck of a lot. Luckily, it's not one of those things you're either born with or you're not--it's something that can be developed. My husband is my hero. That man has more self-control than four of me put together...wait a minute...

So, I commence with my goal setting in an effort to develop more of this self-discipline stuff. As I don't really like failing at things, when I slip up I tend to fall farther than I was before I even set the goal. But this is me getting back up, because I know it will come. After all, the good man Spencer W. Kimball said:

"Success should not necessarily be gauged by always reaching the goal set, but by progress and attainment."

Well said, well said.


SBB

5 comments:

  1. I do like that Spencer W Kimball quote! So true. Hey! I used that mayo clinic website the other day for my friend with diabetes. It was hard to find breakfast foods in a flash, but great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those quotes a lot. I have my own issues that need a hefty dose of self-discipline (like, ahem, Internet usage), and progress is so slow-going. I think it's far too easy to lose sight of why you have the goal in the first place.

    And I am TOTALLY a loyal reader, thank you very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How'd you know I needed this exact post on this very day? LOVED the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, that's awesome!

    Amanda, internet is something I've had to work hard at, too. It's so easy to spend way to much time online! And I know that you are loyal. Hands down you are the best at commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say.....I have read every single one of your blogs and miss them on the days that you don't post!! We all have bad days so even if you post something a little "unhappy" it can still be uplifting because we can relate!!!

    ReplyDelete