Monday, July 12, 2010

Shrimp Curry

Ever since I had Gestational Diabetes when I was pregnant with The Bug, my blood sugar has been a little high. I've been trying to find ways to eat healthier and lower my sugar/carb intake. I came across the GREATEST website from the Mayo Clinic that has a whole bunch of recipes for diabetics. The good news is that the way diabetics are suppose to eat is the way everyone is suppose to eat, so it's just plain healthy no matter how you look at it. I have been impressed by the recipes. They are all tasty and my family gives them a thumbs up, too. I will likely be posting a lot of their recipes as I try them.

Shrimp Curry

Ingredients

    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 shallots, minced
    2 tablespoons peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tomato, peeled and seeded, then diced
    1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
    1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 cup chicken stock, vegetable stock or broth
    1/2 cup light coconut milk
    1 stalk lemon grass, tender bottom 4 inches only, quartered lengthwise
    1 1/4 pounds large shrimp (prawns), peeled and deveined
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    2 tablespoons dry white wine
    1 cup shelled edamame
    1/2 cup diced mango
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons fresh basil chiffonade

Directions

In a saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots, ginger and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato, curry powder and coriander and simmer until the tomato begins to soften, about 1 minute.

Add the stock, coconut milk and lemon grass. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Remove from the heat.

In a nonstick saute pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, sprinkle with the turmeric and cook for about 3 minutes. Turn the shrimp and cook until pink and opaque throughout, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.

Add the wine and deglaze the pan, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits. Add the curry sauce to the pan, raise the heat to high and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium, add the edamame and cook until the edamame are tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Return the shrimp to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Add the mango and salt and stir to combine. Discard the lemon grass.

Divide the curry among warmed individual plates and garnish with the basil.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/RE00070


* I couldn't find lemon grass at the grocery store, and I didn't want to pay for coriander for just one recipe. I just added a little lemon juice. It was still good. I served it with rice. P.S. The picture is not of this specific recipe.



SBB

1 comment:

  1. My boys have made a goal to not eat sugar for a year, and for this sugar lover, it was hard at first to be supportive, but it has turned out to be a great thing for our family. Whenever I feel like eating something sweet, I grab a handful of trailmix(without candy in it, of course), and that does the trick for me. Sugery stuff doesn't really taste very good to me anymore.

    ReplyDelete