Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Time Out

We are instigating the use of time-outs here at the P. house. It is not fun. I hate doing it, because it makes the Bug so sad. He laughs all the way as I carry him to his room and realization only dawns as the door shuts between us. Then the wailing begins. Poor guy. It would be so much easier to just let him get into trouble. I watch him doing something wrong, and I just want so badly for him to stop on his own, because I don't want to punish him. He just doesn't seem to make the connection, though.

I guess that's how Heavenly Father feels all the time. Here we are on earth, making mistake after mistake and He, from His perfect perspective watches us and just wishes we would start doing it right on our own. Sometimes I feel like I'm the one just not making the connections.

I'm pretty grateful that He lets us learn from our mistakes, though. We'd be a pretty pathetic lot if He just bailed us out every time or let us get away with it because we 'didn't know any better.'

Looking at it that way makes it a little bit easier to teach Isaac about consequences, knowing that it is for his benefit in the long run. Just a little bit easier, though.



SBB

1 comment:

  1. Oh just give it time. A few kids down the road you'll start feeling less guilty about sendin' them to time out! I loved your comparison though. You're too cute!

    ReplyDelete