Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls!!






I make THE best cinnamon rolls. I'm not kidding. I figure I can say that because it's not my recipe, so I really don't get any credit. I took a cooking class in college that required a research project. One team set out to find the perfect cinnamon roll recipe. Well, they did. I was lucky enough to snatch myself a copy.

Dough:

2 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 cup 110 degree water
1 C. warm milk
2/3 C. melted butter or margarine
2 eggs-slightly beaten
2/3 C. granulated sugar
2 tsp. salt
up to 8 C. bread flour

In a small bowl dissolve yeast and 1 tsp sugar in warm water; set aside.

In a large bowl mix together milk, 2/3 C sugar, melted butter, salt, and eggs; add yeast mixture and 4 cups of bread flour to mixture; beat until smooth; stir in enough flour to form a slightly stiff dough.

Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead for 8 min.

Place dough in a large greased bowl, cover, and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

Roll dough out onto a floured surface into a 15x20" rectangle.

Brush 1/2 cup melted butter over dough

Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over dough:
3/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. white sugar
2 Tbsp. cinnamon

Tightly roll up dough and pinch edges together to seal.

Cut into 1 inch slices

Coat the bottom of a 13x9x2 baking pan with cooking spray.

Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan; cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 min.

Bake rolls at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Let cinnamon rolls cool slightly and coat with desired frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1/3 C. softened butter
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 drops almond extract
1/2 tsp corn syrup 1 Tbsp milk
2-4 C. powdered sugar

Powdered Sugar Frosting:

1/3 C. softened butter
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp milk
3 drops almond extract
2-4 C powdered sugar


*Hints: When letting the dough rise, I turn my oven on to warm. I cover the bowl with a warm, slightly wet towel, stick it in the oven and then turn the oven off. It rises twice as fast.
I cut the roll with dental floss--it works great without smashing the dough.
I cook my rolls a little under the suggested time.
I never have almond extract on hand, so I've never used in in the frosting. I usually make the powdered sugar frosting and then add 1-2 Tbsp cream cheese.


Enjoy!


SBB

2 comments:

  1. im gonna have to experiment with this, cuz last time i tried it, the gf flour wouldnt rise and they turned out hard :( but you have inspired me to keep experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try doubling the yeast, Alex. And realize that this suggestion comes with no scientific/professional/educated background whatsoever. :)

    ReplyDelete