Thursday, October 14, 2010

True Courage

I don't like controversy. I hate confrontation or dispute of any kind. And yet, they are a part of life. So when these battles rear their ugly heads, we are presented with a choice. We can sit back quietly and let others proverbially 'duke it out' or we can speak up and risk being torn to pieces. Which is better? I haven't decided yet. I think it comes down to whether or not you can stand it in the ring. I'm not sure that I can. This post will undoubtedly produce some anxiety as I intent to talk about something incredibly controversial. All I ask is that any comments are respectful and uplifting.

For those who are not members of my faith, twice a year we hold a General Conference in which the leaders of our church host a world-wide meeting that is broadcast from Salt Lake via television, internet, and satellite. This past conference, a few weeks ago, one of the church leaders President Boyd K. Packer gave an address that spoke about the temptations of the world and the power to overcome them. Many were offended by his words, assuming that he was condemning individuals who experience same-sex attraction. Since this talk was given, there has been a huge amount of controversy.

Our church believes that acting in a homosexual manner is wrong. It is categorized as sexual sin, in that it is outside the bonds of marriage and that God forbids it. We do not, however, support condemnation, judgement, or ridicule of our fellow men. We do not believe that individuals who are attracted to members of the same sex are bad people. We simply believe that it is inappropriate to act on that attraction. I have shied away from this topic so many times, because it makes me really uncomfortable. I know several people who are Gay or Lesbian and I love them very much. I have not known how to balance my love for them with my feeling that their actions are inappropriate. I have not felt secure enough in my understanding of the issues, and in my understanding of God's perspective on the matter. But of the little I know, I do know that God loves His children. I also know that He will not be silent simply to avoid controversy. All throughout the Bible we see the rejection and persecution His prophets received as they proclaimed His word. They were not, to be sure, very popular.

So, as I said, I chose to remain silent about this issue until I could better understand. There are still many, many parts to this puzzle I am figuring out. This morning I saw a link to a Blog that blew me away. It is written by a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (aka a mormon); a man who is attracted to other men. What courage it must take for him to do so! The world needs to hear what he has to say. I have never heard the perspective of a man (or woman) struggling with these issues and living the life of the Gospel. It gives such a message of hope and faith. I feel that he reflects beautifully our Church's standing on the subject. He is not rejected, but embraced. His life is hard, and he is living in a manner that is pleasing to God. I hope to find more clarity as I read about life through his eyes.

Here are his thoughts on the talk given by President Packer. All of his posts are similarly uplifting.

I know that many of my friends have very different views than my own, and I respect that. I know that morality is not very popular these days. I am certainly not here to tell anyone how to live their life. I am here to talk about how I choose to live my life. And I believe the words that President Packer spoke. I believe that true peace and happiness come from living a clean life. I believe that it is our highest responsibility to love our fellow men. I believe that weakness of the flesh can be overcome through our Savior Jesus Christ.


SBB

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Shawna! I share your feelings 100% - especially the fear of confrontation and the confusion of balancing love and acceptance with standing for eternal truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that blog, too! Amazing. I am with you - thanks for lifting your voice on this issue - it gives me the courage to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also read his blog and was inspired and interested in how he internalized everything. I have read other posts of his, too, and it's helping me understand an area that I hadn't before.

    ReplyDelete