Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Countdown

I can't believe we are less than 8 weeks from this baby's due date.

Time has been going so fast lately. I thought that once we moved it would slow down--smaller space, away from my friends...it hasn't. Every Sunday the Mr. and I look at each other and say 'is it really time to go to church again?' The days just come and go like it's nothing.

I have spent a lot of time preparing for the birth of this baby. What I have not spent time preparing for is every second after that. I try to envision having two little ones; how it's going to be with a new baby now that the Bug is in the picture. I have a feeling my whole world is about to turn upside-down. Of course, this happened when the Bug was born as well. I imagine going from one to two isn't as big a shift as from none to one.

Life is certainly different than my childless days. And I'm not complaining. I would never, ever go back. I read an article in the newspaper a few months ago that said that some studies show that children add to an individual's unhappiness. I was so angry that anyone would ever promote that idea. Children make life worth living.


Yes, I am tied down. Yes, I am more limited in my choice of activities and entertainment. But really, I would rather have purpose than all the fun in the world. Everything I was able to do before was just a distraction--a way to fill the void of what I didn't have yet until I had it. And to be honest, the fun that I get to have now is exponentially more enjoyable than before, because it has depth to it. I get to be with the people I love. Life is so much more fulfilling now than before.


Sometimes I get a little selfish and I worry about my 'routine' and how I'll keep my house clean and how I'll get my exercise in, and all the little things that keep me feeling human. I wonder how I will discipline a feisty two year old when I'm tied to the couch nursing a baby, and if I can keep my cool and manage my temper. I wonder if I will be able to give the Bug the love and attention that I want to give him when there is another little bundle to love and take care of, with seemingly more urgent needs.



And then I remember that billions of other women have done the same thing. They survived. Their children survived. Some of them even did well.

I am excited to meet this little tornado that has been living inside of me for so long. I can't wait to be able to look at him and feel his soft, soft skin. I am excited for the Bug to be a big brother. I am happy that our little family is growing. I hope that I am up to the challenge. I know that there are going to be long periods of readjusting for all of us. If it is anything like last time, there will be some very blue days ahead for me. Perhaps months worth of them. But they pass. They always pass, and they make the happy days priceless treasures.

So even though I may never feel like I'm on top of the latest mess or project and that I'll never be completely ready for this baby to come, I'm glad that the time is flying and that this baby will be here sooner than I can believe. This is going to be a great summer!

Isaac Forrest Jan 2009


SBB

7 comments:

  1. Great perspective! You'll be a great mother of two :) Can't wait to meet him in photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly said! I am so excited for you. I hope all goes well. Thanks for stopping by it was good to chat with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on baby # 2! It's good to know there are mothers out there who actually LOVE being a mother! What could possibly be more important than raising and loving kids that would make people unhappy? It's actually those times when I'm more self-centered that I'm unhappy! And when I focus on the kids more I'm more happy. Having the gospel does help having a better perspective. I hope the blue days aren't long. You never know, might not come this time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm feeling the same way about adding another.

    Except I'm also feeling like, 8 WEEKS?!?!? GET THIS BABY OUT OF ME! I think I might have more energy with a newborn then I do being pregnant.

    Hang in there girl, excited for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a great mother!! Having the second child is an adjustment, but I found that I could enjoy my second a little more, even though the first child would clobber him if I ever put him down. Not that I didn't enjoy the first child, I was just more relaxed the second time around. Just don't have very high expectations for what does or does not get done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel exactly the same way. I wouldn't trade any of my children for the world. Nothing in this world has brought me more happiness than my family. Even though you get more busy with each new addition(I bathed my first child every day, my fourth, once a week) life only gets more interesting and fun. You are a wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post, S. You are going to rock it!

    ReplyDelete