Monday, November 7, 2011

Health Challenge, Week #3: Nuts & Seeds



So? Did it work for you, or did I lose everyone at 'green smoothie'? It's working for me! I'm down two pounds since this whole thing started two weeks ago (only 5 more pounds to pre-baby weight). I'm LOVING green smoothies, and have found several delicious combinations. I tried apple cider vinegar as well (it's supposed to be really good for your skin), and it still tasted great. Even the Mr. is enjoying them.

It is nice to feel like I have done something healthy for my body. I still have a lot of bad habits that I need to change (like, for example, the fact that I ate 8 pumpkin cookies yesterday. Yes, 8. And if I didn't have a conscience I easily could have doubled that), but it is a start to getting healthier. I think I eat better all day when I know I started out right. I've also substituted a green smoothie for a later meal when I feel like I've just eaten a bunch of junk, and it helps me feel a little better.

Enough about that.

This week's challenge is to eat a handful of raw nuts or seeds every day. Raw means unprocessed--not roasted, not salted, etc. Processing nuts introduces toxins and decreases their nutritional value.

Are you scared of nuts because they have fat in them? Afraid that if you eat fat your going to get fat? In all honesty, I think sugar and carbs pose a greater risk for weight gain. Fat has gotten a bit of a bad rap. You just need to eat the right kind of fat. Stay away from foods high in saturated fat. That's the stuff that will clog your arteries and give you a heart attack. But there are a lot of good fats that your body needs. I believe that the more we give our body the things it needs, the less we will crave the things that are bad for it.

Benefits:

The Mayo Clinic states that nuts, when eaten with a balanced diet, can help lower cholesterol. "Nuts also improve the health of the lining of your arteries." It is a good way to get your healthy, beneficial fats like Omega-3. So, if you don't like fish (or don't want to pay for it), nuts are the way to go. They are also a good source of fiber and vitamin E.

Seeds are packed with good stuff as well:

"With their gold mine of healthy minerals and their niacin and folic-acid contents, seeds are an excellent nutrition package. They are among the better plant sources of iron and zinc. In fact, one ounce of pumpkin seeds contains almost twice as much iron as three ounces of skinless chicken breast. And they provide more fiber per ounce than nuts. They are also good sources of protein." (Found here)

Try looking in the bulk bins at your grocery store--they are generally cheaper there than buying them packaged. We like raw almonds and sunflower seeds, but there are tons of choices. You can also find some good nut/dried fruit mixes.

Have fun! Please leave a note saying how you're doing.


SBB

3 comments:

  1. Um I'm afraid I didn't do the smoothies. I thought about it a lot, I just never got around to making them. I have raw nuts though so I'm good to go. And I'll try to make a smoothie. I just have to remember to plan ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nuts and seeds are easy. Green smoothies are a no, but I'd eat the spinach does that count? I am up to 32 oz of water a day and today I' at 38! yeah me!

    ReplyDelete