Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wisdom

I am grateful for women, insight, and knowledge of an identity that transcends mortal purposes.

Earlier this week I read an article about plastic surgery, saying that a lot of women in Utah (as compared to other states) have some sort of procedure done. That surprised me. It was also timely, because the Mr. and I had actually had a conversation about cosmetic surgery that morning.

I've been thinking a lot the past few months about my identity, feelings of self worth, etc., and trying to find a way to improve the way I feel about myself. The article, along with my recent musings, caused me to post the following on Facebook:

"At some point in my life I unconsciously decided that my value lies in exterior factors. Physique, for example, or my ability to keep the house clean. Others' opinions of me, the clothes I wear...it's quite an extensive list. Do I realize that is is a false belief? Absolutely. Do I know how to discard it? Absolutely not. Discuss."

I was surprised by how many people responded, and I appreciated the insight offered by many of my friends. I thought I would share some bits and pieces of what was said:

"I think our culture trains us to feel the way you have described. From birth we are praised for being pretty, for an amazing piano performance, or for getting good grades, so of course those are the things we aspire to and place value on. I'm not saying our parents and teachers were superficial, its just natural, but as we raise the next generation, I think we should look carefully at how we praise children. Notice hard work, kind acts, good attitudes, effort, character and praise and reward those things every bit as much as the easier to notice but more superficial things. I wonder if that could make a difference."

All of those are our ego, what we perceive to define ourselves ourselves, but those things are not us. We have to realize we are not the pounds on the scale, the sad past, the cute hair, the funny laugh...etc....we just are. We have to find that inner self, our divine nature, I call it, and worry less about the ego and more about the divine.

"I think that it goes back to our motivation--or WHY we do things. Keeping a clean house can be a very good thing ( a house of order is a house of God). Having a healthy body is important too. We just need to make sure that our motivation comes from having our thoughts and desires be one with God's."

"I've come to the conclusion recently that the only one who can help me with it is Christ, so I have to put more trust in him to help me see the good in me and help perfect me as well."

"I've started to realize all that matters is how I remember others and serve in the ways Heavenly Father asks of me and that I'm kind to others regardless of how I think they view me. I think Elder Uchtdorf put it best when he said: "Just think of it: You are known and remembered by the most majestic, powerful, and glorious Being in the universe! You are loved by the King of infinite space and everlasting time!"

"I've found that the way to overcome it is to study the scriptures consistently. That is where the source if True self esteem lies. The more we familiarize ourselves with the word of God, the more we familiarize ourselves with what is truly important and the more innate positive feelings of self worth are...When we're familiar with the scriptures our default feeling of self worth is positive, without having to give ourselves pep talks to love ourselves. We just already do. The scriptures are powerful."

Thank you for the reminders!

SBB

No comments:

Post a Comment