Monday, November 14, 2011

Health Challenge week #4: Snacking

So I have a huge issue with snacking. I do alright in the morning, but from about 2pm on I get the munchies like crazy, and that's when I totally blow it nutritionally. This challenge is going to be the hardest for me thus far (mostly because it requires elimination of a bad habit as opposed to just starting a good one).


This is me. Stuffing my face after dinner.
Except it's not really me.


This week's health challenge is to eat six times a day.

Eating smaller portions more often throughout the day is healthier than eating a few larger meals. I didn't do my homework this week, so I have absolutely no sources to back that up.

This article gives several suggestions for healthy snacking.

In order to stay full longer, try combining carbs with fat, fiber, and protein. Carbohydrates will give you immediate energy, while fat and protein take longer to digest.

For example:

raw almonds & dried prunes
cottage cheese & canned fruit
mozzarella cheese stick & an apple
peanut butter & an apple or banana
tuna fish & crackers

What do YOU eat for a healthy snack?

I find it helps to plan ahead for meals and snacks. Otherwise I'll just grab whatever sounds good and is easy. And you can bet it's usually not a salad.

So eat your meal, eat your snack, then zip your lips until your next scheduled chow time (except for water, of course). Easy, right? I don't know...


SBB

4 comments:

  1. ugh this is my biggest problem for usre. i have been feeling like crap for the last two days because i keep catching myself, but usually after ive already stuffed my face. and 6 times a days is better for me too, since i have hypo glycemia. ok, tomorrow will be better than today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen you stuff your face.

    I'm in though it will be hard. I'm a grazer. I don't like meals I just pick something up each time I pass through the kitchen. Yea, I need this week. We'll see how I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a loser I'm still trying to drink the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Jodee's comment! I'm doing better on the water, though. I think. And I'm trying to eat healthier. I added quinoa to my sloppy joes for dinner & am drinking coconut milk (google the benefits of that!). I totally agree with you that I do way better when I plan ahead!

    ReplyDelete