Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Lord Taketh Away

Yesterday afternoon I received a call from the Mr. letting me know that one of his cousins had died. He was in his twenties, and had just gotten married last year. Of the 60+ cousins that the Mr. has, I never knew Will very well, but it still hits close to home.
I thought of his young wife. Her whole life is going to change. What a tragedy. I thought of his parents and siblings. Especially I thought of his sweet mom, whom I love dearly. Her life has not been easy, and I can't imagine the weight this will add to her shoulders.
It seems that we can't take too many steps forward without being reminded how fragile life is. As the scriptures say, "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away." I am so grateful for the knowledge that this life is not the end-all. Will's family will see him and be able to be with him again. It must be a comfort for them to know that even though he is no longer here, he is in a beautiful, peaceful place with others who love him.

I know that God is aware of everything that happens to us, and that our lives are not "accidental." There is purpose and an opportunity for learning and growth in all that we experience here on earth. "...all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." (D&C 122:7)

I also believe that those who have passed on are allowed to help us in ways that we cannot see. My Grandpa Boyer, my Aunt Cathy, my Dad--I think they are all doing their part to help us succeed.

And so here is my 'Thankful Thursday' post. I am grateful for life, and for the loved ones that I share this life with. I am grateful for the Gospel and for the plan of a loving Heavenly Father that gives me hope when loved ones leave for a time. I am grateful for a Savior that made it possible to live again after our physical death. I am grateful for those on the other side of the veil; those waiting to come to this earth and those who already have, who are cheering us on in their own way. So many blessings.


SBB


Dad's funeral. Wish I had a good pic of him to put up.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about Ed's cousin. Life is fragile and so frequently we take it for granted. Just last week, one of Jason's friends had a little boy that died. He was about the age of our little ones....I can't even imagine what they are going through. It really makes you stop and think.....take time to smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete