Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Superwomen

I spent last evening having a much needed discussion with my sister-in-law. I came home so energized and uplifted, that the Mr. kept asking me why on earth I was so happy. I thrive on deep, meaningful conversations.

I grew up with five brothers. My mom and I got along great, but I never had the sister bonding experience. I also never realized the importance of other women in my life. What a power we have to lift each other up!

I have felt at times that I should stay away from other women because when we get together there is a tendency to gossip, backbite, and judge people. I think very few women are actually malicious; it is simply our nature (or at least mine) to analyze EVERYTHING and gather information. So many well-intended conversations end up with poison laced throughout. I believe this is Satan's tool. Both the gossiping itself and the idea that exclusion is the higher road.

The truth is we need each other. The truth is that if we make an effort to speak positively and use our words, experiences, and nature to uplift, the potential for doing good is limitless. I am so grateful for a friend who was willing to speak candidly with me in order to help me through a rough spot in my life. I think that every woman needs to hear that they are not alone; they are not an anomoly, and they are not broken. Other women all over the world are experiencing similar trials, frustrations, and yes, we can even talk about joys! The purpose of life is not to shimmy through completely unscathed--it is to LEARN! So if you are struggling, congratulations! And welcome to life. Chances are you don't need a pill, a counselor, or a new spouse. You need to get down on your knees. At least that is what we talked about last night (don't worry, Dear, a new husband was never an option. I'm afraid you're stuck with me).

Summary: Women are wonderful, beautiful people. There is a reason we were created differently than men. We have certain gifts, and our nature is to nurture. So go tap in to that nature and put your arm around someone and tell them they are not alone.


SBB

2 comments: