Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Comp Free is the way to Be

This is how we roll



So I had an awesome break from the TV and computer last week. Really, it was great. I organized, I canned, I visited my mom, and yes, my house is cleaner than it was two weeks ago, thank goodness!

It's funny, on Sunday we had a Regional Conference and Sister Beck spoke about her concerns regarding young mothers and all of the distractions presented to them. She spoke especially of the internet. Well, it's nice to know I'm not alone; I just thought I had an especially compulsive personality (you do, Shawna). Apparently it is an issue for many. Like so many good things, it is easy to go too far.

I think the perfect balance for me would be about twenty minutes a day. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of will power. So I am leaning towards keeping the computer off most of the time and turning it on once or twice a week to catch up on things. And computer+Isaac never equals a good time--it's going to have to be while he's either napping or down for the night.

TV isn't a huge issue around here. The only channels we get are the Discovery Channel and the Travel Channel. Isaac has a week spot for Cash Cab, but in all reality the TV is rarely on.

I have to say, it felt really good to be tied to one less thing. It's so easy to default to the computer. When it's just not an option, I slowly start thinking about what I really should be doing. I am going to try harder to get rid of the enjoyable-but-not-so-important things in my life. I think we've all got a few of those! Now to find joy in the less-enjoyable-but-really-worth-it-in-the-end things. That aren't really things. Things.



SBB

3 comments:

  1. I loved her comments, I kind of thought I will check at morning and at night, but not when my kids are around and need me, and we will see how that goes. I cleaned out a cupboard yesterday...that is a BIG deal for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I would loved to have heard that talk. Sister Beck is so good at saying the tough stuff to us girls. And go, you! I too am much too tied to the computer. Lately I have been trying to keep it off except for at naptime and after bedtime. It doesn't always work out like that, but I have been better - and everyone is definitely happier when I keep it off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Ramona! Amanda: I am hoping that there is a hard copy of her talk published somewhere eventually. I loved it because it wasn't scripted, and I think she has to be (scripted) a lot of the time. If I ever see one show up, I'll definitely forward it to you!

    ReplyDelete