Monday, September 27, 2010

Stephanie's Salsa



The past two years I've canned salsa with my sister-in-law and it is good! Here is the recipe she uses:

1 Gallon Diced Tomatoes
2 Large Green Peppers
4 Jalapeno Peppers
1 1/3 C. White Vinegar or Lime Juice
2 12-oz cans Tomato Paste
1 T. Sugar
3 T. Salt
1 1/2 T. Garlic Powder

Blanch and peel tomatoes. Dice or puree ingredients to desired consistency. Mix together and warm in pot. Ladle into heated jars. Steam bath for 20 minutes.





I prefer the white vinegar to the lime juice myself, and I usually don't use all the jalapenos. NOTE: use gloves when you're cutting the jalapenos! I spent several hours with my fingers in buttermilk last year. Just trust me--it BURNS! If you don't like your salsa very spicy, remove all the insides, especially seeds, before adding to the salsa.


Thanks Stephanie!

SBB

2 comments:

  1. Now we both just need to add a couple dozen bags of tortilla chips to our storage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know buttermilk helped. I didn't know about the evils of the peppers until I took off my contacts and burned my eyes and then contaminated my contacts (which I found out the next day when I tried to put them in). Not a pretty sight...but your jars of salsa are pretty!

    ReplyDelete