Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Captain of my Soul

The other day I saw a preview in which the poem Invictus was quoted. I doubt many of us are familiar with it's words but for the last two lines: "I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul".

I thought about how often I tell people to 'have a good day!' while walking away or ending a phone conversation. It's as if I am wishing for them that everything will turn out, because, after all, they have no control over what will happen, right?

In contrast I have a friend who, instead of saying 'have a great day' will say 'make a great day.' The first time I heard her say it I reared back a little; how dare anyone change one of the thoughtless, meaningless phrases that we fling at each other! Once I had acclimated, however, I gave it some thought. What a clever thing to say! A good day doesn't just happen to us, we create it.

I am a creator. I cannot sit back and watch life happen around me, or it is guaranteed to disappoint. I have to make my life what I want it to be.

I am the master of my destiny. I am the captain of my soul.




Make a great day!

SBB

4 comments:

  1. I love that! Must remember that phrase....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this! I never thought about it that way. We sure do have a lot of meaningless phrases... like "How are you?" almost seems like more of an introduction now to a conversation then a real question. Good thoughts, Shawna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, that's funny; I was thinking the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that...."Make a great day"....so true!

    ReplyDelete