Thursday, May 13, 2010

Romancing the Housewife

So I have a new role model, Stephanie Nielson (WATCH this video. You will not be disappointed). In my first post, I talked about how she inspired the creation of this blog. I was fascinated, while skipping through her blog, with the relationship she has with her husband. After reading about all of the wonderful, thoughtful, romantic things he does for her on a consistent basis, I thought 'man, is she lucky! What a hunk!' No wonder she referred to him as her own "Mr. Darcy".

Then, after pushing away those thoughts that always seem to come, always trying to pin the blame of a less-than-perfect situation on someone else, I had a thought. Maybe, just maybe, Mr. Nielson is so incredible is because that is the way his Mrs. chooses to see him.

How many times have I kept myself from seeing the knight in shining armor because I was focusing on the mud he tracked in? So, I add something new to my growing list of ways to be like Nie Nie: I want to be so blind-sighted by that stunning armor that I don't even think to look for mud. Or, more simply put, I want to focus on the good.

Somewhere in between middle school misfit and haggered housewife I seem to have lost the hopeless romantic that use to be me. Well, that's no fun! I spend all those years dreaming and wishing and hoping; now I have a real, live dreamboat and I'm not even paying attention! So, I'm going to be better about that. Let me start with a list of things I super-duper appreciate/love about my man:

  1. He gets up every morning when the Bug wakes up. He never complains, he just slips out of bed and lets me sleep.
  2. He tells me I'm beautiful, and means it, on days when I'm feeling particularly frumpy.
  3. After dinner he says "You've really outdone yourself this time," no matter how the meal tastes.
  4. He calls from work everyday at lunch to say hello, and asks "what can I do for you?"
  5. He busts his buns to get home in time for dinner every day, because he knows it's really important to me.
  6. He tries so hard to do what he thinks I want him to do, when what I want him to do changes constantly.
  7. He sings 'Old Man River' to the Bug when he puts him to sleep.
  8. He lets me use his toothbrush.
  9. He never complains.
  10. He never talks bad about people.
  11. He remembers everyone's name.
I'm a little rusty. You just wait. One day soon someone's gonna read this blog and think, 'man is she lucky! What a hunk!' And they would be right. Love you Babe.


SBB

5 comments:

  1. You two are so cute! You are both licky :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh. That would be LUCKY. Mental note: read before you hit "post comment".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the video of Stephanie, she is amazing. What a great story to remind us what is important in life! Isn't life interesting, it's all about the attitude we have, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tooth brush thing freaks me out but I loved the rest ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always thought, "Man is she lucky!" But of course I've also thought, "Man, is he lucky!" You are both so awesome!

    ReplyDelete