Friday, May 21, 2010

Quotable Friday

Being mom to a toddler is so much fun. Taxing at times too, but very fun. I love when I turn on my Pilates workout and the Bug goes to get out my mat. I love the sound that he makes when he's pretending to blow dry his hair, shave with the electric razor, or vacuum. It is so fun to watch him mimic everything we do; he wants to be just like us. Especially rewarding are those times when I finally get what he is asking for after several minutes of frustration. I am amazed at how particular his wants are.

Sometimes parenting seems like an afterthought; something that just happens during the day rather than an intentional, concentrated effort. I forget that this is what life is all about, and that it can be beautiful. Too often I get distracted, and look for my purpose in the wrong places.
Thank you, C. S. Lewis for the reminder that this is the purpose, and all else exists to support it.

"(Motherhood and homemaking) is surely, in reality, the most important work in the world. What do ships, railways, mines, cars, government etc exist for except that people may be fed, warmed, and safe in their own homes? . . . (The homemaker's) job is the one for which all others exist."
Taken from 'A Mother's Book of Secrets


3 comments:

  1. Audrey exercises with me too....so funny! Motherhood is the BEST and it IS our purpose in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautifully said! there is no greater nor more important role than being your children's mother. just ask them in twenty years...

    ReplyDelete