Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Thankful for my Feat

I was at a Relief Society meeting tonight, and one of the topics was physical fitness. A good friend of mine was the speaker. She is such an inspiration to me. A lot of people would call her crazy. Eight mile runs at five in the morning don't appeal to very many people I know, but I have joined her on some of those runs, and I have learned a lot from her. Things about running, like how to keep your speed going downhill without eating asphalt, and things about life like learning how to really push yourself and self-love.


I appreciated the perspective she gave on the importance of physical exercise. She talked about a time in her life when she was feeling really overwhelmed. To help her cope, a doctor prescribed antidepressants. She said "I wish doctors would write out a prescription that read: 30 min. exercise & 30 min. service per day. I think those two things would solve a lot of our problems."
I know that this is true in my life. Exercise has the ability to strengthen and energize your body, invigorate your mind, and boost your spirit. What a powerful tool. I so love that she mentioned service, too. Talk about a natural high! There is nothing that can lift a gloomy mood like focusing on others. Thanks, Heather!

I am so grateful for the body that houses my spirit. Sometimes I complain about discomforts I experience, or my less favorite parts, and then I am brought back to reality: I have a body! What a wonderful gift from God. I have legs that work, that allow me to run and move freely. I have eyes and ears that function properly. I have arms that are strong enough to pick up my little boy and carry him around all.day.long. The way I look does not affect my body's functionality. The aches and pains I experience are nothing compared to the sicknesses and handicaps so many others deal with daily. Thank you, Heavenly Father, for this wonderful blessing. Help me to take good care of my body so that I can be a better servant.


SBB

No comments:

Post a Comment